2006-08-01

The Depressing Disgrace of DePaul University

What more proof does one want that University or College is not what it's all cracked up to be? Specifically, they are no longer true bastions and preservers of our collective intellectual heritage. Universities and Colleges are magnificently malfunctioning in what can only be described as a make-believe nightmare. Edward Gibbon himself was not too fond of them a few centuries back.

I'm not sure if I, The Commentator, can convey into words what I see developing in the woeful dark halls of our institutions of higher learning - make that middle learning. Professors are no longer free. They are now to be constrained by a faceless faculty who are in turn controlled by the tricky trail of money bags. More frighteningly, they are subservient to the keepers of political correctness and organized special interest. What is left but mere lost and empty souls giving lectures with a wink or two?

During one of my Western Civilization classes in University, the Professor opened his class with some quotes by Edmund Burke. He used them to set-up the intellectual climate of the period. It was skillfully done and I rather enjoyed myself I must say. Alas, one man's entertainment is another man's gargoylic (my word) fear or nightmare. It seems one student in particular was not happy with Burke and proceeded to take it out on the Professor. As if he was Burke reincarnated. In the mind of this student, he interpreted Burke as a racist and therefore the Professor had no business bringing him up. Omit one of of world history's finest philosophers?

The Professor, taken aback, reminded the student that he did not pen the words and that he should take his complaints to Burke. He also reminded the dimwitted student that Burke was dead.

Enter DePaul University and the suspension of Professor Tom Klocek for 'offending' Muslim students after defending Israel during one of his classes. What kind of heavy madness was allowed to enter the minds of the President of the school Dennis Holtschneider along with his Dean of the School for New Learning - New Learning? - Susan Dumbleton. I'll allow you to discover the root word on your own. How have we come to this? How is it that a regressive and ignorant minority of intolerant, infantile students can wield such power over a professor? Indeed an entire University!

Have we lost our minds? Has Western culture degraded to such a level that we no longer have the wherewithal to debate within our own schools? This is no longer a political debate. This is an issue that strikes deep within the core of our Occidental legacy. It's a simple case of right and wrong. Those students are the ones that have abdicated the privilege of sitting in our schools. Higher education is not a right nor a political battle ground but a place to exchange ideas freely.

Sadly, this is not the first time this has happened and it surely won't be the last - Concordia University here in Montreal has long decided to perform oral sex with similar ogres - as our Universities are filled with gutless individuals with minds that have been reduced to the size of a gherkin.

What's that? That's the gangrene setting on our brains after an attempted suicide.

3 comments:

  1. Du calme !

    This is not, in fact, a response to your posting re: reinstating a basketball coach, or whatever that was (hard to do more than skim since there were so few paragraph breaks).

    What I am asking about is much more important:

    1. What is going on with your archives? Something had just percolated into my consciousness, re: your comparison of Germany with Italy at the time of the Reformation. Yet, when I went to finally respond I find that you only keep selected postings archived!

    2. Ahem, er, I started reading something else (damn these browder tabs!) and now cannot remember what else I wanted to gripe about. (I will append when it comes to me.)

    So I guess the main point is, WTF are your archived materiels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remembered about my second point:

    2. I don't want to injure anyone's artistic pride, but would I be out of order in offering to provide you with a better profile image? I can scan the cover of a 1981 TV guide, if necessary. That pixellation is driving me crazy!

    Keep up the good hog reporting work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no clue what you're talking about! I'll check out my archives. As for my layout - assuming that's what you're talking about - I am 1) pretty useless when it comes to this sort of thing and 2) I'm always looking for tips and suggestions. In fact, if anyone has had some trouble please let me know! It's the only way I can improve.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.