2006-08-01

General comments

My mother insisted I watch the news today. "They are going to talk about selling property to pass down to your kids and the subsequent tax implications." How do you tell your mother that the local news isn't going to tell you anything magically different from what your lawyer and accountant have already said? Add that I spent a decade in financial services and you pretty much have low expectations on what the panel will discuss. Love the panel talk. Once again, I was proven right. I wasted 45 minutes waiting for a person to come on and talk about - cottages and second homes properties. "Did you see it?" my mother eagerly said hoping to gain more insights from her first born son. "Mom, we own COMMERCIAL properties. It was all nice but how does this help us?" "Oh." Mama mia and Madonna, for real.

So, I figured I may as well continue watching. I was not rewarded. The news quickly descended into the usual maddening belief that celebrity news is worthy news -see Lascivious Polyphony for more thoughts on this. The question of the day was whether people thought Mel Gibson was going to be able to revive or regurgitate - whatever - his career. This is news? If there any kids reading please cover your ears and eyes: Who the %#%!1 fuck cares? Leave all this junk to mind-numbing programming like 'Insider' and 'ET.' Like I really give shit about what goes on behind the scenes of 'American Idol' or where that Brit buys his lousy tops. Or that loud-mouth Barkley is insanely running for office in Alabama. Just go away and bring back real news. Oh, that takes vision and intelligence. Sorry.

-Since I've gone on to a mini-rant, I see that the local sports radio station has hired another young person to speak on the airwaves. I'm all for this but how low are the barriers to entry? Part of the host's Team 990 Drive crew (two in particular) must lead North American sports talk with the most 'ums, you knows and I means.' The fact is that the local talent on the air is slightly above average if not mediocre. I wish them well and hope they improve. In order to do this you need to be driven and to be driven you want to be compensated for your hard work. Alas, there is no money in sports radio in Montreal. It's a tough gig for sure. And it reflects on the on-air talent. As for the Montreal Gazette, it seems having one beat writer take on more than one section - badly I might add- is good, sound business. Just shoot this paper out of its misery already.

-Many mistake having a political opinion against an existing government as being unpatriotic and anti-American. I disagree. While it is true sometimes some do push their privileged rights to extremes most of it is just an opinion and usually has little weight. I may disagree with some opinions but I by no means dismiss it as being treason. I was listening to Bruce Springsteen and John Mellencamp today - to avoid the 38c sweltering heat - and was reminded just how proud of America they are. If they weren't they wouldn't vividly choose American settings to drive the imagery of their music. Some of it is patriotic and some of it is not so. But there's nothing wrong in this. They are entitled to some flexibility on political issues. Look, I'm not always enamoured with some of their thoughts but that only makes us stronger. It does make you think. Isn't this the hallmark of our democratic values? After all, I'm not always right* so it's good to see different perspectives. Besides, their music is simply outstanding.

-Fidel Castro is temporarily stepping aside as he recovers from surgery to rectify intestinal bleeding. This spontaneously led millions of Cuban-Americans in Miami to take to the streets in jubilation. These people are dying for him to, well, die.

I'm not so quick to dance. While I look forward to the day where Cuba is freed from the yokel of tyranny, Cuba has been grooming communist successors to take over El Cigaro's job. Now whether this is just an intermediary step towards ending the dictatorship is unclear. Democracy may be a long way off as many people do believe in the revolution spearheaded by Castro. The road looks rocky to me.

I'll never forget my trip to Cuba. I regret going. All I saw was a beautiful people put on a courageous face in the middle of madness. A people that when they spoke to you would always look over their shoulders. Who would wink to show their disapproval of Castro. One person I shot hoops with was a Russian trained engineer. He was passing towels for a buck a month to a bunch of whiny, spoiled Euro-trash millionaires and haughty, annoying Canadians draped in Maple Leaf apparel. I kept thinking Tim Horton's was right around the fucking corner.

Until Cuba gets on track and we set our own priorities straight, we will be treated to millions of Canadians who see no hypocrisy in dishing out thousands of dollars that only further the misery of Cubans. Some of us hide behind the notion that Cuba has a social welfare state where medicare (which has little medicine and equipment) and education (more like indoctrinization) that is more humane than America's. What I like to do is reverse the question: Ok, would you live there? Would you tolerate not being allowed on beaches to mingle with tourists? Would you accept those conditions? The stupid blank stares are priceless.

-The most insulting commercial out there? Try Lays. You know, the 'get your smile on' chip maker. Apparently, according to the commercial, Lays chips are made from a careful blend of three ingredients: potatoes (no!), Salt (get outta here!) and sunflower oil (just like the bag says!). No fucking shit! Just for that I'm buying Ruffles. Not that I eat chips too much. I'm more of a cookies guy.

*According to my stats - and my math was never very good - I am right about 94.46% of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.