2006-11-01

A Work Related Story

The previous version of this post was too long. I cut it down and stuck to this story.

Whenever I am pressed for time some of you may have noticed a pattern on this blog. I revert back to stuff and territories familiar to me. That is, I'll write about sports, film, music and matters of light politics. The key to blogging is to keep up with your posts. I notice whenever I let go for a few days the number of hits go down. What pressure!

The pressure is not an issue. Time is. I tend to research thoroughly before I write about serious political and historical matters. I would like to write so much more. If only I had the time to develop my ideas.

With this, I would like to offer a personal work-related story. It took place when I joked around with an assistant in a brokerage firm I worked at. Keep in mind this assistant tolerated a vile and foul mouthed (and funny) broker. One day we were talking and she seemed pretty laid back. When she returned to her desk she sent out an email about something. I returned fire writing, "Who are you?" Get it? I just saw her minutes ago. Lame yes. But hey, it's the little things that build repoire right? A normal person plays along. Not this one. She freaked out. It got to the point my assistant (even though she thought herself equal to me - that bitch. But that's another story) came into my office and asked "How could you say that to her?" I was, naturally, speechless. From that point on I lost them.

Speaking of my former flakey, dingbat assistant who needed to seriously get a decent poking of sorts. One time a representative from a mutual fund company dropped off U2 tickets for my team. I was the guy nurturing this relationship and no one else. He dropped off the tickets to my assistant WITH MY NAME ON THE ENVELOPE thinking that she was an individual with an ability to be respectful - one of her greatest weaknesses it turned out. He be wrong. Instead, she took the tickets and GAVE ONE (MEANING MINE) TO THE SAME GIRL AFOREMENTIONED. When I came back from lunch I asked why she could not wait until I came back? "I didn't think you liked U2," she replied. No joke.

My senior partner (a.k.a as the boss who was raping me and not paying me accordingly) sat spineless as both stared blankly back at me. I waited for some sort of gesture to do the right thing. An apology. Anything. None was forthcoming. How do you teach people to do the right thing? "Well, I already told her," was the response. Now, for those of you who know me, I'm not a shit disturber. I walk away from absurd BS so as to keep my karma clean. I see no purpose in fighting for such things. I could have demanded the ticket but I didn't.

The story doesn't end there. The day after the concert the girl buys MY SENIOR PARTNER AN EXPENSIVE BOTTLE OF SCOTCH. "What's that for?" I asked. "Oh, Cahterine bought me a bottle for the tickets." Aside from the fact he HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH IT, I could not believe that neither my assistant or my partner had THE DECENCY TO AT LEAST TELL HER SHE HAD MY TICKET. Such were the values of the people I worked with.

Truth be told, I resigned because of this. Not because of this particular (I'm not that petty or insular) incident but that my values clashed with their own. It was, as we say, a collection of things that built up to the point of unmanagebale stress. I was simply not compensated for the pipelines of referrals I sent this guy. A pipeline that remains strong and profitable until this day for him. My principles came first and it did cost me much. Thank God my wife understood. She agreed.

Funny thing is that the day he hired that flake I questioned his judgement. She had been an assistant to a previous broker and her ability to be recklessly moody was notorious. I often said to myself, "thank God I don't work with her." Be careful what your thankful for. When our docile and professional assistant left, my partner panicked and hired 'The Idiot' because he did not want the 'hassle of training someone.' Fool. Not a day did not go by where I did not complaints about her. Many times I approached him about it. At one point, it became serious. For TWO YEARS he said he was going to fire her but had no balls to do it.

I hate when I have no control. I'd rahter get paid half the money and have full control than put up with stupidity.

All we've learnt as a business species is that we can wear cuff links to work. It's all a facade.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Good night.

2 comments:

  1. Reynolds should have been fired. He said she had dinner with him that same evening at a Boston Market restaurant.

    And there's your problem. That's like asking a gal out then taking her up on the water tower to help you paint "Da Bears."

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you go. I'm just a commentator, ma'am. I heard that but did overlook it. That was indeed not professional. But far worse happens everyday. At the bank, one time, a manager was engaging in sexual liasons with someone and was caught. He was later promoted.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.