2007-01-22

Why I like Pierre Elliott Trudeau

On the heels of my somewhat tongue in cheek blasting of his sons I figured why not write about the patriarch Pierre Elliott Trudeau himself.

Before I go on let me be clear that his engaging of intellectual fornication with communist bums did little to excite this putrid little mind. Just wanted to get that off my puny shoulders.

Whatever you may think of his policies and how he handled the country - and there are many who vehemently disagreed - the one thing I appreciated about him was that he led. He was a thinking man's leader. I did not agree with everything he did but Trudeau had a vision and had the courage to attempt to see it through.

Trudeau meant more than just being a Prime Minister. He glamorized it. He was aloof. He pirouetted behind Royalty. He suspended civil liberties. He canoed. He tried to get Canada out of its parochial mindset. He was a hopeless idealist tempered with forceful realism.

To me Trudeau was not about the policies per se (although some of these have done damage to the country) but the idea of a determined leader.

For that he deserves our respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.