2007-10-12

A Stop sign is not an option


There's been an inordinate amount of road safety commercials on television over the last few months. Have road etiquette degraded to the point that the government feels the need to remind its citizens on how to observe signs?

The ads would be outright comical if the underlying reality wasn't so sad. Think of it; we're being given a crash course on how to drive on TV and radio! Cartoon mascots are reminding us to slow down, to come to a full stop at a stop sign. It's even gone as far as to explain to people that a yield sign means slow down - not speed up. I don't think Transport Quebec is doing this as public service announcement to ensure things stay in check. No, they probably are concerned.


My question is if the pleasant drawings fail, will they graduate into menacing creatures who threaten society to comply? As for myself, I often imagine myself with a A-91 Disintegrator. A tool of my invention whereby I would be able to aim a fitted hand gun to a car and make it vanish to a part of the city of my choice. Or I could just shoot the tires but that's been done.

It's easy to perceive things are bad on the road. However the ads do confirm that my suspicion regarding thoughtless, arrogant and absent-minded drivers was not that far off the mark. Driving etiquette have progressively worsened in Quebec. It's as if everything is optional now.

How polite and responsible is your road society?

At least Montreal is not alone. Here's a link to the worst cities in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.