2007-12-30

For the love of espresso!

This may be an odd subject to write about as a "last post for 2007" yet it's one of those perplexing and mysterious "what gives?"

Now that I've hooked you all in...what will he talk about? Aliens? Naked women?

Try Table d'Hote menus in restaurants.

For years I could never quite figure out why in an Italian restaurant an espresso or cappuccino is not offered as part of the table d'hote. Instead, they opt for regular coffee (mud with water) and tea. Effen, bloody tea. I'm all for tea, scones and civility but what gives?

For those who will counter, well, the majority of people don't drink fancy I-talian coffees. Fair enough. However, whenever I have asked to replace a lousy $2 espresso (actually they should be cheaper) it was always treated as an extra. So, not only do I not get the tea or coffee but I have to pay extra for an espresso. Why not just wink and add it to the menu?

That's plain not right - if not stupid. Italian restaurants who claim to be "authentic" should be ashamed.

Strange as this may sound but I've been to only TWO places that do it right. The owner at one of the places thinks it's ridiculous to do it otherwise. Another one we frequent had the decency to finally step up and say "take what you want. I can give you an espresso. It's no big deal."

Duh. You're an Italian restaurant!

Thus concludes this utterly banal but curious quasi-rant.

Happy new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.