2008-05-03

The Uneasy Existence Between Blogging And Sports

Interesting article from The New York Times about blogging and sports.

Blogging and bloggers have ruffled many mainstream journalists. Then again, many journalists have crossed-over and embraced the new medium. No one doubts that this is a new wild frontier, but I do feel bloggers shouldn't pretend to be journalists and vice-versa. Journalists using their contacts to post "off the record" information on their blogs has certainly made some wary of the whole blogging thing.

For me, blogging is meant to be based on personal perspectives. That's why I never went the way of setting this blog up as a media wannabe site. What you read here is strictly from my head. I post what I find interesting and important. People can read and enjoy or not.

I would never overstep my boundary if I was privileged enough to hang around sports teams. I'd soak it in and translate what I learned into meaningful writing. I want to contribute in the realm of ideas.

Indeed, some sports blogs are just plain ridiculous and pointless. However, guys like Bob Costas don't get it either. I don't know why they choose to be selective on how they ponder and pontificate about the blogging revolution. I can and do expect more thoughtfulness from him.

Furthermore, that he's talking about it only points to its importance.

On the flip side, blogging has many great writers. Perhaps some even deserve a shot at the "big time."

As a self-professed sports junkie and former athlete, I'm the type of reader (and writer) who is partial to classical sports writing and broadcasting - which is why I like Bob Costas.

I like long pieces that challenge and make me think. Do we see enough of this on the "net?" Not really. Not when the average time people spend on a site is 30 seconds. Sports blogging has to be witty and snappy. Some focus on the celebrity aspect of sports.
Some sites seem bent on being mean-spirited for its own sake. As it turns out, this the "winning formula".

As enjoyable as some of these sites are, after a while it all gets stale. You often step back and think: where's the beef? None of these sites write memorable stuff even though some of the writers are probably capable of so much more. I suppose this is what Costas is lashing out at. In some way, I agree with him.

After all, you can always pull out a piece of journalism and draw inspiration from it - like a classic musical album. The "ah" factor, if you will. It teaches and reaches you. For example, Tom Wolfe's 'The Last American Hero' introduced this Canadian kid with no connection or roots to the NASCAR culture and made me enjoy the story of Junior Johnson.

I don't often break my head about blogging and its place in the mileu of ideas. I just do what I do. For instance, I have a sports blog site. As a result of this experience, I know and can appreciate the tensions that exist between journalists, bloggers and athletes/owners. It need not be this way if people would stop trying to "outscoop" each other or "outwit" one another with pointless cynical bantering.


My goal is simple: to approach sports writing like Ancient Greek and Roman writers did regarding the world around them. I don't need access to a dressing room to prove I exist or that I can have an interesting opinion. I rely on myself to write and write with passion. That's the best a blogger can do - I think.

A blogger doesn't need to muckrake.

I couldn't care less if I met someone in a locker room, because I know that in there I could never get into his mind and heart. What? Me hang out with all those people asking lame-ass questions? In our face paced world, there's no time to reflect, ponder and ask relevant questions.

With blogging, either you run amok and take full advantage, or you show some restraint and respect to your craft with established standards. It takes true courage to self-impose standards on yourself when there is no unified or universally accepted code.

And there are those who do. In fact, they have forced the hand of mainstream journalism to reinvent itself. Bloggers control their own content - and destiny. Why should it be left to ESPN to determine what is news and what we should read?

I think this is worth something.

These are my two cents.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.