2008-06-27

Ugh. Not Another List!

Yes! Another bleeping Canadian "Make Me Feel Better" poll courtesy of the CBC.

Is it me or are this ridiculous lists becoming a sad spectacle? How many times do we have to go over this?

The last time we were treated to a national survey, Tommy Douglas won. I know. Crazy.

Now? He's 7th. How did he lose six spots? Can it be because the health care debate has subsided? This was a perfect scenario for Trudeau to make his move be #1. One comment about Trudeau was: "Trudeau created debt, Mulroney paid the the bill." And boy is he not popular out West. Still, he's apparently a national icon. Go figure.

Celine Dion is in the Top 10 - the gal who once turned down a Juno for not being an 'anglophone" singer. But she has no problem being one internationally.

And where's Tim Hortons anyway? I'm surprised no one has linked the doughnut chain to some enchanting Canadian value or belief system. What about Dudley-do-Right? Ike from South Park?

Whatever.

But the part that had me scratching my head was under the "Accomplishment" section. Freedom is #9 on that list. This makes no sense. How is this a Canadian value?

Poll person: So what do you like about being Canadian?

Canadian: "Um, I dunno. I kinda like hockey and North of 60. But I also like being free. So I think I'll go with freedom. Canada rocks! Woo!"

Anyway, try telling Mark Steyn this. Does "freedom" include La Loi 101 and the OLF? Why don't we add other generalized words like "Peacefulness" and "Intellectualism" and "Friendliness" to the list? Why not? Alexander Graham Bell at #5 can be disputed. Bell is also claimed by the United States; to say nothing of his country of birth Scotland.

Not sure how the Avro Arrow Project got in there. In the 1980s I did a class project on it and no one, and I mean no one, ever heard of it. Suddenly, Dan Ackroyd makes a movie and everyone is slapping the Maple Leaf on their arms about it. Last I checked, despite its brilliance, it was scrapped. Doesn't matter! Slap it in on the list!

I have no idea how you can rationalize the accomplishments and achievements of a nation through national polls. They have no merit to me.

Not only that. If one looks at the post below about Zenn and Dynasty it should occur to us all that Canadians are clueless as to what we're up to presently. Then again, in a country that looks to the government for everything, our own government doesn't seem to care so why should the people?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.