2008-07-09

Bell Should Be Throttled

I wasn't aware of Bell's throttling practices because I browse more than I download.

Let's get serious. Should anyone be surprised? Bell is a monopoly that operates within a Canadian business construct that permits it to bully. Bell is just another lazy, unimaginative company that uses draconian measures to mask its lack of ideas.

And why did it take an American company (albeit one with alleged questionable bullying practices itself. At least, Bell has a customer service telephone number where live people actually speak to you. I digress slightly) to defend Canadian net neutrality rights? Oh I know why, because Canadians sleep at the switch. We'd rather write up "who is the greatest Canadian" lists and engage in empty Canadian pride rather than stand up and be counted for our rights.

In an effort to rationalize Bell's move, Telus spokesman Craig McTaggart weighed in with this gem, "Customer relations matters that involve no network interface changes do not engage the network change notification requirements, and it would be inefficient and unwieldy to create new requirements in this regard."

What the hell does this mean?

Sounds like all these lame-bo's like Rogers and Telus are scurrying to find ways to justify a) their monopolies and b) how they screw consumers.

And why are we being charged for internet access anyway?

2 comments:

  1. Bravo! I couldn't agree more. Like I have been advocating: We pay a system access fee for what? We pay to 'surf' the internet and then companies try to inhibit what we can do with it?

    We have the right of free speech, and the right to information on the internet. These companies are running the internet like it is a commodity (which I don't think it should be). You can't sell the internet... so why should they be able to limit what we can do with it?

    If I want to download a torrent of a CD off of PirateBay, shouldn't I be allowed to do that? Isn't it my perrogative? If I want to take the chance to download a song or what-not, I think I should be able to.

    I am not paying an Internet Service Provider to be my 'Nanny' and babysit what I do on the internet. Also, I don't believe in all the bandwidth-being-taken up bull****. Sounds like we are getting the ye-ol' Runaround to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was, sniff, well said.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.