2008-07-23

The Customer Can Be An Idiot

Is the customer always right? Is it one of those ideas and mantra's that "sounded good at the time?"

My experience has taught me that it gives too much credit to people. If it were up to me I'd remove this altogether.

Instead,when dealing with the public companies should empower their workers to make decisions on-demand. After all, if you hired and trained them it seems to me you should have the confidence and trust in them to make the right decision. No?

One thing that annoyed me to no end during my time on the Death Star (bank), was how the geniuses at the top moved away from this simple but powerful strategy. To them, it was better to rip the soul of the worker and centralize and mechanize the banker/customer relationship.

This in effect turned bankers into a bunch of blathering yes-men - and women. By the way, the bank is where humour goes to die.

At this point, may as well have a monkey punching in the mortgage rates on the computer. "Thanks, Gleek! You're the best! Where can I send the banana to show my appreciation?"

The customer is not always right. I'm pretty certain of this. That's why companies should stop kidding themselves and bring some sanity back by returning some power to their employees.

2 comments:

  1. A lesson I learned from many years in customer service was this:

    Individually, people can be very pleasant & nice - but collectively humanity is an a-hole.

    Roy
    Surreality Times

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does feel like whenever we do something nice there's always people to take advantage of it. Customer service is out of control. I knew people who would go on vacation, buy beach items and return them when they were done. It was incredible.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.