2008-07-08

Keyword Resources

Using keywords is an art form mixed in with incomprehensible science. Needless to say, for laypeople like me it can prove to be an elusive force. I get the mechanics behind keywords but lack the experience and knowledge to master its inner-workings. But I'm working on it.

A basic formula is to use google keyword tools, punch in the subject you're writing about and make a list of all the words and phrases being used and insert them in your post. This is a hit and miss thing. The other way is to signup for Google Adwords and pay for words. If you're a politics blog I would avoid paying for just the word "politics." Rather try and find a more descriptive way of defining your political blog - i.e. "Montreal politics."

For this blog I use one simple strategy: just write. And write a lot. With all the pages I've amassed I'm bound to have some key keywords in here somewhere. In fact, I may unwittingly have many what is termed "long tail keywords" which are essentially more descriptive and specifically defined key words. For example, the word "photography" may be over used and unless you have a high google rank may mean nothing to your blog. However, if you're, say, an art photographer in Chicago you would use "art photography Chicago" type thing.

Now whether I'm maximizing my key word potential is another issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.