2008-07-20

Rate This: Bend Over


As some of you may know, I'm not the biggest fan of awards.

The other thing that I find weird is the "rate this" feature found on a few social and networking sites (e.g. Stumble Upon). I understand the reasoning behind it but it seems superficial to me. It's A BLOG. How can you rate ideas and opinions outside the realm of education? The mere fact that someone (however remedial or fantastic) is taking the time to write is something worthy.

I never join such sites or try as much as possible to not leave comments on blogs with them. I've never rated a post and I never will. It's an opinion. If you like or dislike an opinion articulate it in writing and move on.

A rating is pointless without explanation or context. It's like the "performance appraisal" sheet at work. While potentially an important survey, it's useless if the person interpreting it has no clue what they're doing. Too often I've seen companies hand out generic PA's even though their company lacked any logical or organizational structure. "Listen, we know we're a mess but your leadership qualities and lack of initiative sucks."

What's this fascination to always want to label, rank, award and rate?

Please don't misinterpret me here. I do agree with honoring and recognizing someone. It's just that some of these awards seem like nothing more than extensions of public relations departments, pathetic politicization or plain comical and excessive.

We're constantly rated at work, school, now blogs and possibly even at home. You're one big "rate this" zombie. I'm a 3.3!

And when you add up all the stars what do you get?

4 comments:

  1. I've often felt the same about grading students. But, they need that piece of paper that says they know something, right? Knowledge is worthless if it isn't applied. It will just stick around long enough to spit it back out on the test, then pffft, it's gone.

    Awards may be a bit different though. Wouldn't it be like recognition from peers that what you have done is superior to what they have done and that perhaps they can learn from you?

    Would you turn down a Pulitzer Prize?

    (Though I hardly run in the same circles as you so can't quite call myself your peer, I have learned from you.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the ultimate compliment and I thank you.

    And no, I would not turn down a Pulitzer. Certain awards are indeed to be valued - especially from peers.

    You hit the nail on the head with the student analogy. I would struggle to grade a student. Don't ask me why.

    Hm. Are bloggers peers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I taught Web and graphic design, undergrad level. I built my courses around the scant description in the college catalog. I showed them the basics, what they needed to know and how to learn more, then turned them loose. I always, always got much more than the course required. Many of my students quickly ran circles around me!

    Anyone can blog, so that makes everyone our peers. That's about right, right? (Uh oh, here we go with the popular opinion thing...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.