2008-07-13

Romeo Dallaire: The Man Who Saw The Face Of The Devil

Came across this quote on Wiki about Lieutenant-General Romeo Dallaire (link to website) and his take on Hotel Rwanda.

"The 2004 film Hotel Rwanda featured a UN colonel based on Dallaire, played by Nick Nolte. Dallaire is quoted as saying that neither the producer, nor Nolte himself, consulted with him before shooting the film. He said further that he did not agree with Nolte's portrayal, but did think that the film was "okay." Dallaire has been otherwise reticent to say anything more about Hotel Rwanda."

Seems to me they missed a chance to shake hands with someone with great integrity.

The Rwanda genocide happened well before this blog ever existed but I felt it necessary to at least mention Romeo Dallaire.

It's hard to imagine the psychological impact Rwanda has had on Dallaire. I know he's spoken about it and it's been capture on both film (The Last Just Man, Shake Hands With The Devil, A Problem From Hell) and in books, but to see murder in its purest evil form and be powerless against it must have been too much to endure and overcome.

While we argue about Morgentaler's legitimacy (I'm not convinced he deserves it) as an Order of Canada recipient, Romeo Dallaire served this country and contributed to its peacekeeping legacy. Seems to me that for a country like Canada that talks incessantly about our peacekeeping values we should at least honour those who actually make it happen.

Note: Thanks to Neil for setting the above straight. I errored in thinking the "Members" list of the Order was an exhaustive one. Dallaire is listed under the "Officers" section. I normally do research vigorously but let my guard down on this one. My apologies and thanks to Neil once again. I'm glad I have some fellow bloggers to point these things out.

7 comments:

  1. Unless there is a ultra-'positive publicity' element, it seems that people do not get honored for their feats and achievements.

    For instance, I recently heard that the ex-President of my university recently received the Order of Canada. He mainly received it for promoting our university, and bringing in investment.. BUT, I can think of many more who have achieved greater things that deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're bang on. Someone I know astutely pointed out we now give out stars on streets, prizes and awards for merely "punching in" and doing our work now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7/14/2008

    It seems to me that Dallaire was awarded the Order of Canada. Am I wrong about this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure, Neil. Hard to verify. I went on the government website but it doesn't seem to disclose the list. I didn't see his name on this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Members_of_the_Order_of_Canada&until=Gauthier%2C+Jean-Robert

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mistake Neil. He is listed under the "Officers" category. I did the mistake of assuming the previous list was an exhaustive one.

    So yes he is a member.

    I found out Ben Johnson is listed as a "Member."

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that Dallaire received the 'Order of Canada,' but I still believe people are receiving, like you said Commentator, awards rather easily.

    Dallaire definitely deserved the Order of Canada, but I feel as if he deserved more. He has suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and almost died at one point. His life was forever changed by the Genocide in Rwanda.

    He can receive all the awards in the world, but nothing can change what he had to do/saw. I do not know what the answer is, but I feel as if there is something more that could be done for him.

    It is situations like Dallaire's that make me disgusted by war, and violence.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's exactly it: no award could ever change the fact that he met the devil.

    Amazing story.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.