2008-09-21

A Personal, Shocking Tragedy

If you live in Italy - as some of my readers do - you probably came across a tragedy in Reggio, Calabria. It's been reported by all major news services in Italy.

A man, Francesco Manti, shot a woman to death in cold blood in the town of Fossato Jonico (where my father is from) high in the mountains of Calabria. Her name was Orsola Nicolo and she was my cousin.

Orsola married Francesco years ago going against the wishes of her family and the parents of the suspect. She later divorced him but soon returned as all abused women are apt to do. She had three children by him. One child is 13 years old and handicapped and was taken by his mother to his therapy sessions two hours away from home.

Orsola was a pretty and devoted mother.

The violent attack was made all the more evil considering prior to shooting her nine times with a 7.65 pistol, he beat her (as he often did) and broke her arm. This happened in front of her nine year-old daughter who called the carabinieri (police). She was 42.

Calabria is an unforgiving, rustic and suspicious place. Vigilante justice and the infamous 'Ndraghetta mafia continue to hold sway on this beautiful region founded by Greeks. I don't know what sort of justice awaits this murderer Manti. I will stop here.

I met Orsala on a couple of occasions. The first time was when she came to stay with my family 15 years ago with her stunningly beautiful son, then four years-old. She told us of her troubles with Francesco. I even had my own experience with him.

He would often call the house rudely demanding to speak with Orsola. It was blatant harassment. On one occasion, I answered the phone at around 3am. The first thing he said was "Give me Orsola." I told him that if he called one more time I would personally fly there with my posse, find him and administer a beating he would never forget. My blood was boiling. He instantly spoke like a puppy, apologized and hung up. We never heard from him again.

My parents were with her last year in Calabria. My father had become kind of a father figure to Orsola and her sister and four brothers. He often sent money to the family when they were kids after my uncle (my father's brother) lost his eye sight and hearing in an industrial explosion. Unable to work, he could not provide for his family. My father was wealthy enough to help out.

We remain in shock.

I hope something good will come of her death. Southern Italy is a place where women need support. My cousin could not find the courage to escape the wretchedness of her life despite repeated offerings and appeals from her family in France and Northern Italy. She paid the price for this.

She mustn't die in vain.

RIP, Orsola.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/23/2008

    All this is so tragic and shows the ancientness of Calabria, such a beautiful land (tragedy seeming to befit the Greeks).

    Although it is not time to talk history.

    I am really so sorry and feel I am with you in this moment of grief.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grazie MOR.

    No need to apologize. History is a beautiful art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9/23/2008

    Yes, more art than science, or so it seems to me.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.