2008-11-02

Attributing Quotes Not For The Weak

My sister sent me this quote by email:

"When fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." Sinclair Lewis.

As I always do when time permits, I like to dig a little when something is sent to me. On my Sinclair Lewis travels I stumbled on this link about the quote attributed to him.

Turns out attributing the quote is a little more complex than we think. Someone was careless in settling on Lewis. Instead, it seems one Professor Halford E. Luccock of Yale Divinity School was the original source of the quote.

History doesn't lie. We do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.