2008-11-11

Canada MUST ALWAYS Remember

As I listen to people weakly justify their ignorance for not wanting to remember our soldiers on this solemn day, I want to tell a story.

It is all the more imperative we find ways to convey the message of the Great Wars to our youth as soldiers who served slowly but surely die off. One way is to visit the places we fought and help liberate. From Ortona to Vimy Ridge. From Ypres to Dieppe. We must organize and mobilize to send students abroad.

To remember. To Recollect. And yes, even rejoice.

In 1994 I went to visit family in France and Italy during the holidays.

Both countries were major battlegrounds during the Great War and by the time I worked my way to Paris, I decided to take the train to Normandy (Seine-Martime) and head to the shores of Dieppe.

Dieppe, of course, is where one of Canada's most spectacular disasters took place.

When I arrived there the first thing that struck me was how many Canadian flags were softly swaying in this quiet port town.

While my country chooses to forget our role in the Great Wars for fear of "glorifying war" without any proper context, France harbors no teen-age post-modern confusion. They know.

France has no identity crisis when it comes to the war. Canada strangely does.

Yet, it was our blood that helped to liberate a continent that is forever grateful.

Moved with unusual pride, I walked and made my way to the beach where young Canadians were mowed down by the Nazis.

Everywhere I looked, the French paid their respects with pleasant nods and various wreaths and stones scattered across the town and beach.

Nos Cousins as they put it, were vital to the defense of their country.

Lest we forget...

I fear we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.