2008-12-09

Superficial Comments On The Quebec Election

Premier Jean Charest got his wish; a majority government. Albeit a small one with 66 seats. What the election results showed was, along with the PQ zooming to opposition with 51 seats, Quebecers can expect more of the same type of governance we've see for-like-ever.

But, the real story (for me anyway) was the collapse of the Action Democratique (ADQ). They went from 41 seats and opposition status to seven seats and losing their official party status (12 is needed in Quebec.) One must feel for founder and leader Mario Dumont. He built a party from scratch. He introduced a third party which offered Quebecers a third option.

For non-French speaking (as their first language that is) citizens we live in a permanent and infinite dark dimension. We'll never have choice. The only choice is to employ the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" philosophy and consider the PQ. We're not there. I personally don't think I'll ever get to that point. That party says absolutely nothing to me. It's too backward thinking for my taste.

Of course, PQ supporters or the average Quebecer may not think this (after all it's Quebec party) but I'm saying it. As long as the party seeks independence (with coddling incentives of course) it ain't getting my vote. If I don't share their values and outlook why should I?

In this way, Quebec operates as a one-party democracy for us. That's why the ADQ were an interesting arrival on the political scene. I didn't always agree with Mr. Dumont but at least he was a viable option.

Some analysts are saying he drop the ball while in opposition. Perhaps. However, did anyone expect otherwise? It was the party's first time in opposition. It seemed like they were getting the hang of it towards the end.

Did he deserve to get whacked like he did? I don't believe so.

Quebec stands poorer today in my opinion. Enjoy provincial (in every sense of the word as the Liberals will continue to be gutless on many issues and the PQ will try and to convince capitalize on an apparent global trend that justifies their dream of being independent. Good luck to both) and Federal politics in Ottawa (where leaders go to die and act like jackasses).

I fear this country is in worse shape than I thought. We're dysfunctional on paper. One day, it may graduate into practice in the form of permanent fragmentation. Are we a country in name only? Our narrative both as a people and on the political level certainly allude to it.

I think I'm gonna check out what Obama is up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.