2009-01-25

History And Presidents; Obamacon

I've touched on the topic of how history may deal with George W. Bush. Here's an (interesting) article from Reason Online discussing it. The line between being great and bad is a movable target. My guess is that we can't know for years to come about Bush. Yeah, we think we know right now but do we?

One thing I believe is important when it comes to politics is to keep a straight head. One way I do this is to keep rhetoric at bay and observe a leaders actions and policy.

So far, it's hard to tell what type of leader Obama will be.

Of course, this is politics and things can change on a dime. Conservatives can turn into interventionists, Liberals into neocons (mind you, aren't neocons disaffected liberals?), conservatives into neocons and so on. You get my drift.

"Change" as you know, is such a meaningless term. "We need change" is such a tired phrase. I've heard this be said one month into a leaders term! We know there's no change coming except for the fact there's a new person with a different birth certificate in charge. "Meet the new boss, same as the old boss..." as The Who once proclaimed in song.

Tim Cavanaugh at Reason had this to say in a recent article:

"President Barack Obama takes office today as a new kind of chief executive, the kind who promises vast, debt-swelling expenditures with no clear purpose, who appoints cabinet members with tax irregularities and illegally employed nannies, who was groomed by a local political machine fabled for its corruption and...."

Moreover, as I mentioned in a previous post, Obama is stacking his staff with old players and neocons. He's even talking like a neocon. Now we'll see if he acts like one. I wonder if he's driving the hard left in the Democratic party nuts. And Republicans better be careful because Obama can easily beat them at their own game. The battle for ideas is now on.

I don't mean Obama's appointments to be a criticism. Far from it. I like leaders who lead. None of this wishy-washy stuff. Obama is capable of leading. He will find his voice and purpose...I think. If not, he can always bomb Iran. Which, in my opinion, would be ludicrous. Unless they do have a nuclear weapon. Anyway...

Welcome to reality folks.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/30/2009

    I think Obama is a pragmatist. In a moment of crisis such as this, America and the world need pragmatism and a new a sense of conciliation, of humanitas. He is the President of ALL Americans.

    Plus, left and right ideologies, are they that important when so much is at stake?

    If, for example, a neocon is a pro and does a good job, I see no scandal. Conversely, I wonder if Hillary Clinton will be a good Foreign Minister. I'm wondering what is her knowledge of world problems, unless she asks her husband about it. Mah ...

    Welcome to reality, you say. I’d rather say, welcome to politics. Am I more cynical than you are lol?

    And yes, to boom Iran would be another big mess.

    Btw, you friend Paul proved to be a very good thinking mind. Plus, Greek and French! Wow! Thanks a lot for introducing him to me.

    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if he's the President of all Americans. I know many Americans who don't like him - no, they're no racist. But I know what you mean. Bush said the same thing.

    The word "pragmatism" has crept into the American political lexicon. What comes first realism or pragmatism? Aren't both related?

    If the liberal Obama stacks his staff with neocons does this make him realistic (given the set of circumstances he inherited) or just plain pragmatic?

    Pragmatism has a distinguished past in American political culture. "Pragmatism holds that both the meaning and the truth of any idea is a function of its practical outcome." Of course, people like Russel despised pragmatism because in many ways it's vulnerable to relativism. My fear is that's probably what will happen with Obama. And like any modern politicians claiming pragmatism it may lead to short-term considerations: for example, stimulus packages can be seen as "realistic" and "pragmatic" but it really isn't. It's a facade.

    I agree about ideology. Recall that Bush had no "ideology" per se until 9/11. So Obama can have a vision of how he wants to govern but if something catastrophic happens will it change those plans?

    I'll stop here. Lest my intuition makes a fool of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE Paul: Just call me the matchmaker.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1/30/2009

    My intuition made already a fool of me. Realism is probably better than pragmatism, which is a precise American philosophy I know nothing about. You know, I love to talk about things I know nothing about.

    Recall that Bush had no "ideology" per se until 9/11.

    Frankly I don't think Bush mattered much. He was not that intelligent. It suffices to look into the his eyes, I believe. The people around him counted more, probably. For example, the Halliburton corporation's ex chief executive officer Dick Cheney. I dislike him. But this is also just intuition. So I'd better shut the hell up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1/30/2009

    The matchmaker? ahh ahahahahaha, you're really something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll join you - about shutting up!

    Well, you know what they say: in politics perception is everything.

    Personally, I think the Haliburton thing is over done. Obama is a product of the sleaziest political machine in the USA - so I read. Imagine what can be dug up there! And people have.

    It can lead to muckraking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1/30/2009

    Obama is a product of the sleaziest political machine in the USA - so I read.

    Much depends where you read these news lol. You know, I hope a lot in Obama, not that I think he can fix such a big mess, like he had a magic wand or something.

    Besides, in politics dirt can be dug anywhere. There's no angels. Never saw one in 60 years and in the countries I've visited. Secondly, let's face it, a black American president! Nobody would have dared to even think of it just 2 years ago. It's a revolution in itself, even if he did nothing else, even if he just f*** around all the time in the gardens of the White House.

    I mean, I don't know why I waste my time with you conservative guys ;-)

    The thing is I find you more interesting to discuss with, not many doubts about it.

    :-)

    ;-)

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha, I'm conservative! I know some of what I write comes off as "conservative" but I do hold many liberal principles. In some ways, I guess I'm just rebelling against liberalism. I hold both in high regard.

    You're right - black president. Although I'm not surprised.

    I'm glad I entertain you - like a Renaissance court jester! ;<)

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.