2009-03-05

A Few Words About Tobacco And Smart Centers

As some of you have already seen and noticed, stores are required by law to hide cigarettes behind a board. Aside from the sore eye it gives from an aesthetic point of view, this strikes me as both a cynical and stupid law.

For me it's simple, it cigarettes are so evil then ban them outright. Enough of this trampling on civil liberties for PR.

You won't win a war on vices.

I mentioned aesthetics earlier, as I've ranted about in the past, has anyone noticed the blithe Smart Centers have become on our urban landscape? Generic and impersonal, these centers give the impression of poor thoughtful design. Worse, it's the same circle of stores that litter these places. I can understand if each had its own unique design and stores, but to have all of them share the same characteristics makes things boring. No?

Originality gives way to urban practicality?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/06/2009

    Smart Centers are indeed an eyesore. I avoid them as much as I can.
    As for cigarettes being hidden and aesthetics, some stores have come up with under the counter storage rather than the ugly wall panels that do not really hide...just stimulate curiosity for what is behind.
    I agree that we should not need laws to take care of ourselves...but human nature being what it is I guess laws will be with us for some time yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least if they'd be interesting but they're not.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.