2009-08-05

Conservatism As A Dirty Word And Are The Americans Looking To Copy Canadian Socialized Medicine?

It's a bizarre thing really.

I'm amazed at just how misconstrued and hated conservatism has become. I'm not sure when and where this happened but I fear it's become unhinged. Are a few bad apples giving conservative thought a bad name? I mean, the founding fathers had no trouble with conservative thought, right? Awesome Abraham Lincoln was a Republican - well, a Whig at first but hey.

***

I've been watching the health care reform debate in the U.S. with interest because, well, it's interesting and it indirectly implicates Canada (and Europe) since the Americans are considering some form (exactly what is unclear) of socialized medicine.

To my observation, I think both sides are using our system to fit their needs and arguments. The left paint waayy to nice a picture and the right waayy too bad a picture. Regardless, I'm not so sure Canadian style medicine is what the Americans want. So it makes little sense to really compare it to us. I think President Obama is not explaining his case well. True, some conservative ads have gone on the offensive with dubious allegations but the left does that too.

That doesn't mean the right aren't asking some valid questions - the Canadian system is indeed under severe strain. Anyone arguing otherwise is either blinded by lofty rhetoric or denying rising evidence pointing to this. I would hope this is considered by Americans.

Nonetheless, I'd be surprised if Obama rams a one-size fits all nationalized program. Although the White House claim that "disinformation" is derailing his plan is a bit rich. One thing I learned in life. When you fail the first person who should be staring back is you.

Now, whether this is just a precursor to that I don't know. It can.

If I'm American, I ask a loooootttttt of questions. A lot.

2 comments:

  1. Everywhere, socialized or not, the various health systems need an overhaul. I'm not sure more two tier or peivatized medecine is the answer though.
    We do need to take a closer look, here at least, at the humongous size of our facilities, the union contracts and the management of our system. The contracts have caused, in some instances, 3 persons doing the job once performed by 1 and the sheer size of the institutions has called for ever more managers to oversee it.
    Once, small was beautifull, maybe we should have a second look at that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smaller is meaner! Music to my ears and you've given an idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.