2009-09-19

People Take Writing For Granted

Entertaining post by Josh Olson about "Why he won't read your fucking script."

I enjoyed this line:

Like the cad who asks the professional for a free read, the guy simply didn't have enough respect for the artist to think about what he was asking for.

I've taken to telling people, after years of summoning to courage to do so, I am a writer. Sure, I don't make a whole lot of money off it but it's what I do. I say it knowing full well the person in front of me may on the surface say "Hey, cool" but it may comes with a clause that goes something like "another dreamer or unemployed artist."

Writers aren't fully, truly respected by society at large. I've done some web copy for websites and they simply don't have the patience to truly consider how important communication through writing really is. There seems to be this undercurrent of belief that the owner of a company is tolerating the writer. If the writer leaves it's not a loss because he or she can do it on their own.

Some can. Most can't.

I know it's not scriptwriting but it's all in the same tea pot.

C'est la vie.

So the saying goes.

I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.