2009-11-01

Doing My Democratic Duty

Just came back from voting in the Laval municipal elections. I readily and embarrasingly admit I don't know enough about the candidates. I've heard them on the radio debate for whatever that's worth. There's one dude I keep seeing on the ballot as far back as I can remember who remains a mystery to me. He's an indepdendent with no party affiliation. I like that. However, I know nothing about him. Never met him. Never heard him in an interview. He doesn't even have a website stipulating his positions.

I voted without much conviction. Therein lies the weakness in the democratic process I suppose.

Yes. I suppose.

***

Now. Speaking of politics. It's weird. I like politics and history but can't fit into any system of any kind devised by people. I have a problem with organizations - or at least being part of one. It's been difficult going through life this way because humans like to organize and mobilize be it in the form of corporation or political party. If you can't be part of one good luck. I could never really find myself in such set ups. It's not like I didn't try. Boy did I ever.

The idea of being part of a party made up of many likeminded people freaks me out a little. And to add to the confusion, I tend to have this "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will will accept people like me as a member" Groucho Marx psychological block.

Meh.

2 comments:

  1. I also voted at the opening of the polls. There was along line of people that dissolved as the polls opened and started rolling.
    I voted for a mayor and for a councillor opposed to the candidate I voted for. Checks and ba,ances they call it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the same strategy.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.