2009-12-08

A Frightening Episode No One Should Have To Face

The other day we watched an episode of Criminal Minds about a couple of home invaders who kill a family of four. My wife looked at me "what do you do in that instance?"

I replied, well, it's all survival instincts by then. But here's the rub: You can't be that way according to the law. You have to be "rational." I further added, when you think of it, the right to bear arms is a matter of security. Yes, it's a dangerous proposition but one that can ultimately save your life. The state doesn't see it that way and can prosecute you, if you kill someone entering your house, for defending your property and family.

It's almost as if they want you to be Cool Hand Luke under duress. The truth is, we don't know how individuals react when confronted with a moment of survival. Everyone is different. I told my wife, it's unfortunate, we should be allowed to have a gun and use it if necessary. Instead, we've been conditioned to believe owning a gun is evil. So what's the next best thing? I have to keep in the back of my head where I keep my baseball bat, hammer or knife.

Which brings me to this story about Donna Jackson in Oklahoma. Listen to the 911 call. It's incredible. What more could she do? Warning shot? Ok. Warning shot. He ignores it because he's drunk and lunges at her and kills her. Now the story is all about "that poor woman" and how depraved society is. This lady defended herself. She did what she could in a moment of pure terror. She's no "premeditated" killer. She shouldn't spend one second in jail. It was the man who was killed who freely put himself, aided by alcohol, in that situation. It's easy to second guess her. I'm not.

The victim is not the criminal here. It's sad for the man but reserve blame for him in this situation.

As for me, it drives me crazy that I know in the back of my head the cops can take me away in handcuffs for taking a baseball bat to a piece of shit thug forcing their way onto me and my peaceful kingdom.

8 comments:

  1. We Canadians do not have a divine right to bear arms. However self defense is allowed provided you do not expose yourself or others to more harm than when yealding and use reasonable force. The key word here is REASONABLE.
    Unless in very dire circumstances killing is unreasonable force.
    And I feel much safer knowing that my neighbour has no gun than walking anywhere in the US where any bozo can pull a gun on me and shoot first then question...if I,m still alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Granted. But in the context of this episode? What happens?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, after reading the link, my first reaction was: A)the 911 person should have told her that she was sending the cops pronto; B)fire in the air to frighten and sober up the guy, not at the guy; C) do you have a back door madam, if so run to the nearest neighbour (oops we are in the US-make that neighbor) and get help.
    The lady would have been reassured, the man maybe frightend away..no one would be dead and the lawyers would not have to figure out if self defense laws apply to her case. I hope that she will not have to sell the farm to get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly.

    57 years old woman, alone in her house at midnight.

    She has no clue what this guy is up to. Neither does the dispatcher for that matter.

    The dispatcher did ask if there was a room where she could go lock herself into.

    But why does one have to run scared in their own home? Why is the onus on the victim to be "rational" when it's the criminal invading their house?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a point but the 911 operator's performance was very lame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. But why does one have to run scared in their own home? Why is the onus on the victim to be "rational" when it's the criminal invading their house?

    I understand. This is bad. But killing is much much worse man. Even if people invade our peaceful kingdom, as you call it, one doesn't have the right to kill. Where is all your christianity gone?

    You can scare firing in the air. You can shoot at a leg. You can flee. But not kill. Thing is, people given a gun should be WELL trained first, also psychologically, otherwise they can get carried away, there can be tons of situations where disaster occurs, as it often is the case in the US.

    I mean, they can shoot you anywhere out there. It is insane and not civilised, I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Caro MOR, before I go on, did you listen to the call?

    As I said in the post, it's easy for us to say all this.

    Then there's the whole "what if he didn't get scared?" thing.

    I think, under the circumstances, this woman shouldn't spend time in jail.

    You make an interesting point about being trained but even police officers make mistakes. In America, they have the right to beat arms and if she was unarmed she's dead. Simple as that.

    As for my Christianity I'm the Old Testament! Ha, ha.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.