2010-03-14

Red Tape Only Slows Us Down And Doesn't Ensure Protection

It's March.

I still don't have my permit to operate my day care center. In fact, I'm still waiting just to process it. Part of the reason is because I have fill out several forms to both the municipal and provincial governments. It can be done in one week if you ask me, but you know, the government is "guiding" me to make sure I, the evil capitalist, don't make any mistakes or try and screw unsuspecting consumers. Savvy consumers don't try and game the system. Sure they don't. Then there's this insipid demand that I explain my "executive summary" to the government - that will cost me more time and money because it must be in French and for that I had to hire a professional translator. And I'm not even asking for one cent from the bank and the government!

I have the talent, the experience (my wife holds a Masters of Education specializing in Early Childhood Care), access to capital, the locale and yet I can't just go in and open the bloody thing.

Every form is a three to four month wait. So I sit around incurring more debt to live and pay all these departments. I start in the hole. The sad thing is that it can all be avoided. As Stanhope astutely points out, people have to work to start a business. The government ask for money up front. Just like a bank asks for a one to one collateral for a small business loan. If I had the money why do I need them?

And I can't wait to pay all those taxes to keep layers of unnecessary departments afloat - including Bombardier. Yeah, I consider Bombardier a ward of the state. 

I'm lucky though. I have access to credit. But it's still messed up how the system is set up. Let entrepreneurs set up and then move in with all your bullshit to placate lobbyists, special interest, crooked politicians and other lousy outfits that hold us back.

What's even more comical is the government has decreed I have to set my request in for a permit before March 31 because they're changing something to how they regulate this increasingly Byzantium situation. It's tough to get things done in an efficient and timely manner when they themselves stand in the way. It's like saying "Hey, go score a goal for us but we'll play defense just to see if you can do it" or "We've set up these rules to make you score the goal easier but sign this form first, make sure you go around that cone, high five one player and then when you're about to score say how great we are and you'll get the permit." If that makes little sense to you, good. That's the point because I don't get why all these hang ups.

There's great demand for day care centers in Quebec. The demand outstrips the demand. Part of the reason for that is because the government controls it. Open it up and see how fast the demand is filled. In the meantime, all sorts of people are starving and stressed for a place to send their kids to. They drive out of their way on their way to work to the town over. I can just imagine what can of an impact this is having on families. To those who say it's because they want to ensure day cares are properly run to this I say bullshit. Right now, there exists many bad day cares despite government intervention. Like anything, you can't regulate good and bad businesspeople and good and bad intentions. It's just the way it is.  

It could be worse. My friend is opening a restaurant. You should see the racket there. To people who don't have any aspirations of being in business or never ran a business this is all normal stuff. Indeed, they actually think it's necessary. They should spend one day on our side to see another side of the story.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! I love Doug Stanhope, too.

    Unbelievable what you're going through just to open a business. I was watching John Stossel last night on Fox Business Channel (I think) and the show was about government insanity (well, all his shows are about that) in the area of licensing laws. He had a couple of women florists on, because in Louisiana you have to pass a complicated test to be allowed to become a florist and make and sell flower arrangements.

    Check out this video on the fight of the Louisiana florists for the freedom to simply earn a living.

    And good luck to you in your dealings with the bureaucrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks.

    When I look at Stanhope I see less a comedian and more a social commentator who's pretty funny about it.

    Saw that video INSANE. Love the part about how there's no job in less of a need for a permit than florists.

    No FUCKING kidding.

    But that's the scam. People are ok with this. The bitch more about Palin than such issues.

    Stossel is seen as "sensationalistic" by liberals. I don't see it that way. He's just reporting WHAT IS.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.