2010-03-22

Rocky Balboa's Iberian Name

I don't mean to be a nitpicker but this has been nagging me for years.

Rocky Balboa has become a cinematic symbol of guts and glory. The protagonist, boxer Balboa, was a Philadelphia native of Italian heritage.

Problem is. Balboa, as far as I know, isn't an Italian name. It's origin is from the Iberian peninsula and may be either Spanish or Portuguese. Great. That's all we need now. For them to claim him like they do Columbus.

Stallone slurring: "Ballotti. Balla. Balotelli. Nah. No good. Balborsa? Balboa!"
Friend slurring: "Wasn't he a Portuguese explorer?"
Stallone: Nobody cares! I'm Johnny. No. Harold. No. Let's see. Rocco Balboa!"
Friend: Why not just go with Rocky like my pet turtle?
Stallone: That's why you're a lowlife servant and I'm a big time movie guy. Nobody will connect with Rocky. Now get me some prosciutt'."
Friend: Balbo sounds more Italian.
Stallone: Git!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.