2010-05-23

Fiorentina Visit Montreal

Italian side Fiorentina (nicknamed la viola for their famous purple outfits) were in town this past week to take on the Montreal Impact. The last time I watched a Serie A team live was back in 2004 when I attended the Milan derby at the San Siro so I was inclined to attend the Fiorentina/Impact match. It's a good thing Italian teams have finally grown out of their insular shell to brand their product abroad. It's equally great for Montreal (and other North American cities) to be exposed to great European sides from England, Spain and Italy. Let's hope we can learn and build on this.


While the newly built Stade Saputo was a nice park (it was my first time there), I wasn't impressed in the least bit concession stands ran out of fricken water on a scourching hot day of 32c. What is it with Montreal venues other than the Bell Center (home of the Montreal Canadiens) running out of food? During a Montreal Alouettes CFL playoff game at the Olympic Stadium food stands ran out of hot dogs for pete's sake.

I understand the Stadium is out of service for most of the year and preparing and calculating how much food is needed is a difficult task but still. And how does a new facility like Stade Saputo fall into this trap? Is it because the season is technically over and they didn't want to have overstock? Although the mark ups on the beer and beverages are high enough to absorb some hit I reckon.

Whatever.

For the entire second half people who paid $45 to $65 had no water to drink. That's all I know.

3 comments:

  1. That there wasn't water doesn't seem such a grievous fault. If you lived here in Rome you wouldn't survive a month. Non organization is ruling, as a pervading queen.

    Fiorentina is not bad. It was my mother's favourite team. But, as you know, I prefer Juve, mortal enemy of Fiorentina btw, only out of sentimentality for my daughter.

    I am so happy now that the central Italy teams (especially Roma, but Lazio also, my wife is all for Lazio) are hot on the heels of the 'nordic' teams. Roma almost won the campionato this year. Moratti had just luck. He is a stupid man in my view, but it seems that, together with the money, he also has luck. With his money, it is easy to buy the best players. Now he also won the European Champions league. Didn’t like that.

    I LOVED the North Italians feel the HEAT at their heels for Roma almost winning the scudetto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was pulling for Roma too. I don't like the way Mourinho behaves. He's a great coach no doubt about it and the players love him but his antics are too much. He also applie a philosophy to sports I concur with: The system must adapt to players and not the other way around. I also didn't like that even after a win he would complain about officiating. The big teams shouldn't do that.

    As for Roma, I don't like their fans from what I've seen but they do play a nice style of soccer.

    I know you like Juve (what a disastrous campaign. They lost to the NY Red Bulls here 3-1) and I also know they're mortal enemies with Fiorentina - although I don't know the origins of why. Can you enlighten?

    I don't know enough about Moratti. You're not the first to express dislike for him (Juve fans think he orchestrated his downfall). Why you say he's stupid?

    Mind you, wouldn't mind Berlusconi stepping aside and pretending he's a manager for AC Milan. Dumb-dumb.

    Last, to me, if I'm going to pay that much money to watch a sport in the summer, I DO expect WATER. That they ran out is ridiculous. Someone miscalculated or it was done on purpose to preserve their margins. They charged $3.50 per bottle. Ironic that it happens in Canada where water is the least of our concerns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your comment to my comment was lively as usual. I can't help you with the reasons of this hate between Juve and Fiorentina. I sent a sms to my daughter on it but I doubt she can reply, her job being very hard.

    Massimo Moratti (born 1945) is an Italian oil tycoon. Rumours are is not very sharp but just the spoiled scion of a powerful family, although I cannot confirm that to be honest.

    Letizia Moratti (Letizia Brichetto-Arnaboldi) has married Gianmarco Moratti (brother of Massimo) and is mayor of Milan. She seems smarter to me, but again I cannot confirm it.

    I wouldn't mind either Berlusconi to step down and caring ONLY for Milan.

    And I understand the water problem.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.