2010-05-21

Rudimentary Blog Sabermetrics

I'm a big stats guy. Like, for anything. Especially sports. Go ahead. Ask me anything. I more or less know who is the all-time Home run leader or all-time leading scorer in the NHL.

Ok. Those are easy.

I'm no Schwab but I'm no shlob either. You like that? Schwab. Shlob. No? Fine. Be like that.

It's no surprise, then, that I keep tabs on certain stats on my blog. Not traffic. For some strange reason I don't care all that much about it. Instead, I keep a record of how many factual mistakes I've made and spelling errors. I used to be more on top of it in the past because I had more time but less so in the last year so I really rely on my "first drafts" and readers who decide to help out.

Nonetheless, considering the number of posts I've managed to be rather responsible with my postings. More than the NYT anyway. Whoa!

I've accumulated over 3500 posts and drafts (I don't post personal essays. I don't need CSIS or the CIA on my case) of which 2751 have been posted.

Of the 2751, 222 have had spelling errors. That is, I discover them after posting. A couple of years back I went through all my posts to fix the ones (including poor sentence structure) I caught. I'm sure some still remain but as long as I cleaned it up. In terms of facts, it's a little trickier. Generally, before I post something, I check several sources. Unfortunately, in the interest of time, I sometimes take a chance and just post outright and that gets me into trouble. While it only takes me a few moments to write up a post it's the actual research that takes time.

What do I mean by factual errors? Glaring ones. Stuff like "Canada won the Canada Cup in 1984 and not 1983." Or, "The Commentator is a moron and not a smart boy." Straigh facts (there I just committed one). Those types of errors have happened five times. Of which two were brought up by the same man, Costo. The other three came to me in a dream. I have a monkey who talks to me in my sleep for some reason.

I would love to have back up but hey. Maybe one day.

There you have it. The Commentator's stats.

4 comments:

  1. Two? From poor little me? Well it just shows I care about what you write and your credibility. I don't always comment though because, at times, I know we are so far from each other ideologically speaking that the bridge would be too long or costly; at other times I'd be just too mad to be polite and I must admit some topics are so remote from me that I will not venture on such territory.
    Then comes one I can relate too, so I butt in for better or for worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if we're "ideologues." I prefer "states of mind." I can't commit to any one ideology because I'm terrified of being wrong!

    As for the "too far apart to comment" angle. I face that too. Sometimes it's just best to read, digest and move on. Such is the beauty of freedom.

    It wouldn't be a bad thing though, to comment when you're mad! I love that sort of thing. Although I don't ever comment in anger. Strong words yes, but anger expunges too much bad energy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/21/2010

    I often go back and fix or tweek postings. I don't have a copy editor and I think that I can't really be held to that standard. I just accept that I make a few goofs and blunders and I thank the people who point them out politely.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.