2010-06-19

Music And The Passage Of Time

I was listening to The Rolling Stones classic Dead Flowers in my jeep earlier. As it were, I passed by my elementary school. It got me thinking about the passage of time. By the time I was in kindergarten, the song had already been four years old. Now, it's 37 years since it was written.

I often do that. I listen to a song and think about it in the context of time.



Beauty comes in many forms.



Jazz, something I don't discuss enough for some reason, is my preferred genre of music.

***

Speaking of jazz, I think it's time the Montreal International Jazz festival drops the jazz from its name. It's plain, plump an international music festival. But it's a bit of a problem since it has branded itself as the largest jazz fest in the world. I'm sorry I see no correlation between rock acts and other genres playing the fest with jazz. Call me rigid, a purist and yes, even old fashioned but when someone tells me it's the jazz festival, I expect nothing but jazz.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/21/2010

    A lovely tribute to her.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqLKr5M0iZk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this video! Always liked the play on words, Ella, elle l'a: Ella, she has it.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.