2010-07-09

Happy Meals Rock

McDonald's CEO Jim Skinner is my kind of guy. He hit bck at the Center for Science in the Public Interest (no joke. There's an organization called this. It's, like, well, 1984!)

These folks had the idea of slapping Macdo (as we call it here) with a lawsuit for daring to give toys as a way to "lure" kids into their restaurants.

Not even if I tried could I think about this stuff. Actually, it's quite easy come to think of it. When I heard it I thought two things: A) how bloody presumptuous and insulting of them. B) What an idiotic position to take.

No sooner than I think this did Skinner lash back:

I am writing to set the record straight regarding the misinformation that CSPI communicated about McDonald's.... You say you want a dialogue with McDonald's, but your tactics and inflammatory rhetoric suggest otherwise. CSPI's twisted characterization of McDonald's as 'the stranger in the playground handing out candy to children' is an insult to every one of our franchisees and employees around the world. When CSPI refers to America's children as 'an unpaid drone army,' you similarly denigrate parents and families, because they are fully capable of making their own decisions. You should apologize."


That's EXACTLY right. I guard and govern MY child as I see fit. I don't know these people and quite frankly I don't give a shit about them.

He added, "The public does not support your lawsuit. Internet sites, blogs and network surveys suggest that public opinion is running overwhelmingly against your premise. Our customer websites and phone lines at McDonald's are also busy, with more than nine out of 10 customers disagreeing with your agenda. Parents, in particular, strongly believe they have the right and responsibility to decide what's best for their children, not CSPI. It really is that simple... You purposefully skewed your evaluation of our Happy Meals by putting them in the context of a highly conservative 1,300 calorie per day requirement. I'm sure you know this category generally applies to the youngest and most sedentary children... Furthermore, your over-the-top rhetoric flies in the face of our 55-year track record of caring for kids, a core McDonald's value."

Count me in as one of those blogs who sides with McDonald's. Evil corporate bastard I am.

Just for that I'm taking my kid to McDonald's real soon.

2 comments:

  1. Reeling in the parents using the kids was not invented by MacDo. How about surprises in Cracker Jack boxes when I was a kid. I was seven when I gave my first fiancée a ring found in those boxes.
    It's up to the parent to set up a fiewall when need be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all do it. Still, THEY don't have control of your family YOU do.

    I'm cool with it because I know how to balance it all out.

    These organizations may feel they're doing right but by threatening lawsuits they're beginning to enter a realm where they don't belong or wanted.

    Educatate. Fine. Let us know what you think and WE'LL MAKE THE DECISION.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.