2010-07-26

I, Mother Nature

You know, the more I think of it, the more I'm convinced we're approaching climate change all wrong. It seems to me nature has its own path to follow regardless what we do. It always struck me as a little misguided to connect energy efficiency with "doing our bit" for something we have little - if any - control over.

Earth has been going through violent changes even before we "over populated" it. And it continues to do so. It always finds a way to progress. I know this may rub a few people the wrong way but maybe nature has other plans for us. If it wants glaciers to melt, there's nothing we can do about it except adjust.

That's why I consider Al Gore and his ilk to be modern day shysters and alchemists. They know they can't do squat (really, humans against nature is a no-contest) but they do know how to profit off your fear and naivete. Buying a hybrid car, or taking showers every second day, while probably good for its own sake for the environment, won't avert a natural catastrophe.

Thinking this way only points to our own insular, though well-meaning, arrogance.

Truth is, we barely understand the nature of earth's whims. We've only recorded human activity for about 5000 years. Nature stretches way further back. Hundreds of millions and even billions in some cases (like Canadian rocks in the arctic for instance) of years old.

Sure, the scientific community is using technology to cull all sorts of important data. Along the way, we're learning more and more.

Something tells me we have a lot more to learn. Lots.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7/27/2010

    Sounds like you once were a climate alarmist, but now you are switching to the denialist side. Welcome to the club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never sat on either side. I just watched and listened. Lots of "on the other hands" if you will.

    Sure, I had my personal skepticism and it never abated with guys like Gore. It doesn't mean there isn't a climate issue but I don't trust guys who profit off it.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.