2010-07-20

So You Wanna Make Money On Al Gore's Internet, Eh?

Good for you.

Why are you reading this blog then?

All I know is blogger is not the best template to monetize a site. Which means I may move to a private domain very soon. Why should I build up Google's rankings and business? Remember, when you're on blogger Google owns your site. I'm with blogger because of the famialiarity factor. I was on wordpress and still am with Sportsperspectives but for some reason blogger is easier for me.

In order for me to jump to wordpress I have to really learn more about e-commerce.

About monetizing. It all comes down to content and traffic. Easier said than done. I reckon sites that focus on specifics and have a target audience are likely to succeed most. For example, if you're a doctor specializing in autism and have a website you have a special advantage and expertise as opposed to, say, a dink like me who comes up here and spews about everything and anything.

One is be-bop (doctor) and the other is free jazz (me. As in free form)  if you will. Problem is, I'm more of the former at heart. Although I've managed to specialize (albeit poorly at this point since I don't spend enough time on them) in my other blogs. One is fiction, one is satire, one is sports and the other focuses on industrial Italy. My next plan of attack is to talk day care. That's a start. I let this one be my free wheeling desire.

Another style of blog that may work is "personal" stories. I'm slowly integrating my personal experiences on this site. Like I like to pretend I'm a princess at night.

Creating unique, timeless, big picture posts is key. Again. Easier said than done. I may think I have something "smart" to say but it is in the end just an opinion and selling opinions is harder than selling "personal development" and "how-to" stuff.

I hate that shit by the way.

My special interests lie in areas so well covered already it's hard to find a niche - although I believe I have done pretty darn well compared to some of the "successful" sites I've seen. At least I squirt a dash of lemon and love after each post. You may not see it but I do. It's a little messy but hey...for you...anything.

Shit. I hate when that happens. Sorry. I just bit my finger biting into a 90% dark choclate with cinnamon.

Back to focus. Focus.

Anyway, I won't dwell on the fact that I love history, sports and politics. If I can drive traffic to this site on these topics so be it. If not, so be it again.

I feel there's not enough of that stuff around if you ask me. Talking about society, poltics and history is boundless and always in need of discussion.

Blogging and making dough is hard. Very hard. Very, vebby, hard.

I'm still not sure why I do it.

1 comment:

  1. Damn, Mike, I never realized how easy it could be...thanks!


    Yeah, I want to get off blogger as well, or start a second self-hosted blog using Wordpress.

    I started with Blogger, and as you say, it is super easy to use (and they keep adding improvements, too), so I stay with it (for now).

    But ultimately, Google owns it all, or at least your site. I'll get to my big Internet expansion plans someday.

    I agree about the target audience thing...not as fun as free-form blogging, but more profitable.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.