2010-07-22

Voluntary Census Is Right By Me

I heard a funny story on the radio. Apparently, over 55 000 Canadians wrote down, on the long version of Canada's census survey, as their religion "Jedi."

I don't think I've ever been this proud to be Canadian. The sense and pulse (and humour) of "screw you" remains strong.

I'm all for the census. However, what I'm dead set against is the coercive manner to which it is demanded. Not complying with the census can lead to a fine or imprisonment. No kidding. Just on that fact alone, personally, I'd be very reluctant to answer the detailed questionnaire.

Spare me the "society would cease to function" crap. Enough of the notion believing a just society passes through the state. If they really want the information they can find creative means to get it and without the threat of jail time.

I don't know why people are freaking out that the government is abolishing mandatory long-form census. They're not getting rid of it; all they're getting rid of is the coercion characteristic. And you know what? I appreciate that and would be willing to fill out the form - provided it doesn't ask what colour is my pee and other personal things they have no business collecting. Just because they're the government doesn't mean I trust them since the government is run by people; and that person could be my neighbour or an ex-girlfriend.

And who knows what soft ware they're using!

The head of Stats Canada is over reacting with his threat of resignation. See "hyperbole."Talk about an inflated sense of self-worth. I love Statisitcs Canada and appreciate the work they do but quite frankly they have no damn  business forcing me to give them any damn information I feel important and private.

Moreover, I didn't elect these guys. I'm not big on the power by proxy game.

The bottom line is it should be voluntary.

Basta. As in, that's good enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.