2010-09-02

Customer Service

Two things, no three things I tend to rail against on this blog. One, is excessive state interventionism (excessive as determined by my own private perceptions), two leaders who blame past leaders for problems but have no problem taking credit for past leaders decisions, policies and strategies, and three lack of professionalism in retail.

Screw the first one for now. It's not the point of this point. Let me rant about the second one.

Today I was at a grocery store and was unclear about the price about something. Let me use the right term, "product my kid was breaking my balls over."

When the "customer service" agent explained in crude French the situation she said, "comprend?" (Understand). I, with poor hearing and a five year-old's life hinged on the damn toy, said "No, I'm sorry. Can you please repeat it?" Right there she made a rather churlish grimace of irritation. Odd I thought.

Maybe it's the expired soy milk I drank that made me think she made that face? Meh. I wanted to grab her and say, "who the bleeping do you think you are?" But I didn't because I try to avoid any type of confrontation with people in front of my kid.

I felt it wasn't worth making an issue of it since my kid was already pining to leave by tugging at my leg. She was smart enough to realize Barbie wasn't coming home with us.
On the drive home, it bothered me though. And it annoyed me still after a nice black forest ham sandwich (with honey dijon, sweet basil, garden tomatoes on olive and chive bread). So. I picked up the phone and made my peace with the manager.

These days, people don't even bother to hide their annoyance when you approach them. It's becoming worse and worse I find.

If someone is rude - especially when you spend a lot of money - I argue you're irresponsible in not notifying management. Or else how are they to rectify the issue or problem? I've taught myself to take that extra step and file minor complaints. I don't bitch, moan, scream. I just present my case calmly and politely without demanding people "get fired." People deserve a chance to learn.

Although, judging by the "type" of people lurking in aisles these days, I get the feeling they're not interested in learning. Customer service, as in simple civil etiquette can't really be taught, but you can remind people that civility matters. It's a human art where people either have it or they don't I reckon.

All I ask is for some professionalism. I don't want to be your god dang friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.