2010-09-10

Put The Money Elsewhere

I never quite understood how politicians and municipalities get hoodwinked into helping to finance sports arenas and stadiums to which the owners reap and keep all profits. The only stipend left for the state and its citizens is in some "voo-doo-vague" belief that someway having a sports team is great for the local economy.

Personally, I don't think sports teams are that much of a boon to an economy. Let me rephrase. I don't think the return of that promise justifies sinking hundreds of millions of tax payer dollars into a sports team. If the government went into it as a partner with an equity stake and dividend payments and what-not, then it would make some sense. But to give an owner, say, $100 million to build an arena (even with the taxes they would collect) is a raw deal for them.

I'm sure there are studies looking into sports teams in local economies and I'm guessing it's not as amazing as its painted. The main advantage of a sports team is the psychological aspect of having a sports franchise. In some ways, in can unite people in a city. The other is the free tourism publicity. If you're part of a 30-team league you're exposed to not just 29 teams but 29 other cities filled with citizens itching (in good times) to spend their money in your city.

Again, I don't know if any of this would cover the initial outlay sunk in building a sports facility.

I bring this up because people are going goo-goo-gaa-gaa at the possible return of the NHL to Quebec City. I think it's great economic conditions are allowing this to happen. However, it won't happen unless a new $450 million arena will be built of which the provincial and (heaven knows) the federal government will kick in $180 of it. Around those amounts anyway.

I'm a sports junkie but I don't think this is proper use of public funds. Sorry. Why should the owner of a hockey team get this sort of sweet deal? What's in it for the entire country given part of it is funded by it? That we get a team based in Quebec as it "rightfully" should? Please. We've gotten along just fine without one. Because it will enhance Quebec's economy? As I stated above, not so sure about that. And by how much will it? 41 games plus playoffs (if you get there) seems like a limited deal to me.

I would much rather see the government sink the money in amateur sports. Build on what happened in Vancouver. Don't sit on it and let it go to waste in typical Canadian fashion. Or put it in tennis, basketball and soccer - global sports, in which Canada inexcusably often falters in, that command far higher audiences.

If not in sports, then how about putting it areas of social issues? $180 million is a lot of money and with Quebec's abysmal education record and increasing health care costs, seems to me these should take priority.

Education and health care we all benefit from. When I go into a hospital and I'm told there's one doctor on call because of budget cuts, it's a problem in my eyes. If our high school drop rates are exploding and people still can't string a sentence together in University, it's a problem to me.

A niche few benefit from whatever advantages a sports team brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.