2010-09-07

Random Coincidental Lives

I went to pay my driver's registration earlier today (%$$%&#@). As I stood in line waiting to get a number, I remembered the last time I was there and noticed my brother's boyhood buddy at the back of the line. He almost lost his life once (as opposed to two or three times) after being hit by a car while cycling on the country roads we used to ride on.

Hardly the type to scream past people's heads, "hiya doin'!" I chose to instead let the angels decide if it was meant for us to speak. Turned out it wasn't.

On we went with our lives.

Now that I think of it as I write this, it reminds me of a sad story from years back. I went to visit a friend at a college he was attending. As we walked its academic halls we saw a friend (more like an acquaintance we were friendly with) we went to high school with at the other end. "Should we go over and say hello?" one of us asked. I can't remember which one of us did. "Another time" was the reply.

Another time never came. That same night she was killed in a car accident. The driver attempted to avoid a dog and swerved out of control hitting poles and cars sending her unbuckled body through the windshield. Horrific. Tragic.

Assessing the approximate wait time, I looked ahead. I thought to myself what were the odds I'd see my brother's friend again? Here. What were the odds? Better than the Orioles winning the NL East for the next five years I bet.

Turns odd pretty good. I spotted him. Only this time he was way ahead. Again, I chose to let the angels determine our paths. Even if I couldm there was no way to reach him. I was surrounded by aliens masquerading as humans. Out he went. As if nothing happened.

We never learn.

To be honest, it would have been awkward to speak to him as he left while I wallowed in line. We hadn't seen each other in years. So many thoughts, questions and to be expressed and asked.

I didn't interfere with fate.

Who knows what's in store in our lives beyond different intersecting, random, coincidental points?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.