2010-09-05

Rosemary And Garlic Pizza

One of my favorite focaccia/pizza style is rosemary and garlic. A so-called "white" pizza.

Damn I'm racial.

D'ya wanna all learn how to make'un? No'lem. I tells you.

Well. You're gonna want some rosemary. Fresh if you can. I have a basil/oregano/rosemary plant. If you don't have any or live in a sufficiently useless place that doesn't carry any, then dry rosemary is fine. If dry rosemary is considered exotic where you live, then move. Or if you can't move, stop reading...NOW!

Next you will need is one garlic. Garlic powder will do as well.

Third, olive oil. And try and buy a good one, ok? None of those cheap Italian imitations. Get the real, deal stuff. I go to a specialty shop where they have giant, stainless steal containers of three types of olive oil from three different regions in Italy. I chose one from Calabria. And that's what I used earlier today for my flatbread pizza.

Finally, dough. What, where did you think the ingredients were gonna go? In your pants? "Oh, mommy I think I made a boo-boo." "Oh-no, Commentator that better be olive oil running down the side of your leg! You're 22 for Pete's Sake!"

You can use pepper; if you have one of those all-in-one pepper grinders all the better. If not, coarse pepper; not powder pepper. And if you prefer to add something, sage is nice. Again fresh or dry.

But for now, I'll leave those out.

Let me talk about the dough. Either you make the dough from scratch, at which point you'll need to prepare your day properly, or you can go out and buy the dough already done. All you need to do is knead. If you're incredibly lazy or lack time, today you can buy pizza dough of all kinds already made. Some of them are pretty good too. It's a path to less resistance. Just follow the instructions on the package. Don't go trying to reinvent yeast.

Once you settled on your dough, you can choose if you will make a focaccia (basically a thin pizza) or pizza.

In a small dish, put, I don't know two tablespoons of olive oil (depending on the size of the pizza). If bigger add one more. Just make sure you have just enough to cover the pizza and nothing more or else it'll become oily. You'll get the hang of it. Eventually. Presuming you're adequate in the kitchen.

Add garlic. If you have a garlic crusher, crush it. If you don't, cut it finely. You don't want to eat chunks of garlic. Sometimes, when I'm feeling frisky, I'll mix fresh and powdered garlic.

At this point, you can decide if you want to add pepper and/or sage. There are many variations where people will add cheese, potatoes and so on but that's something else. We're concerned with ail/rosamarin here. No salt please. Thank you. Hold off on the rosemary for a sec.

With a brush spread the olive oil/garlic around on the pizza as if you're making love to something. It doesn't have to be living. Inanimate will do. The important thing is that you love.

Once complete, take the rosemary, smell it, smile and thank the Good Lord for nourishing the earth with such a divine herb, and sprinkle it around. Don't put too much because rosemary is pretty strong. Again, go by eye. It doesn't take a genius to "sense" you have enough.

Put it in the oven. If the dough is freshly made or bought, roughly 375 for 12-15 minutes will do. Maybe less. Keep an eye out for it. Better yet, ask the dude where you bought the dough how long you think you should bake it. If you buy a packaged dough (which I have no problem with provided you buy one with good ingredients), as I mentioned earlier, follow the instructions. Don't pretend to have the IQ of a piece of garlic.

I guess that's it.

PS: I couldn't find a classic rosemary/garlic pic on the net. Maybe next I should take a picture of mine and upload it.

1 comment:

  1. I've made versions of this. I love garlic and rosemary and on pizza, it is a glorious combination.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.