2010-10-15

Flaxseed Benefits

I started eating flax seed years ago when it was discovered my doctor discovered I had high cholesterol. Interestingly, I was 18 and at my fitness peak. Going cycling in the morning for 60kms, playing tennis in the afternoon and hockey or soccer at night had little impact. Turns out it was genetic. My mother has high cholesterol. Thanks for nothing mom.

Ok, ok. Relax. It's a joke.

While not a serious problem, my count was on the upper-end of the scale but it persisted so 12 years after the first diagnosis he put me on Crestor. I took it for about six months and my cholesterol decreased and stayed down.

I've taken a few blood tests since then and even give blood and everything seems to be in check.

I read up a lot on cholesterol as I looked to improve my diet further but being genetic, I pragmatically accepted the limits.The bottom line is science doesn't know for sure its origins or what it can lead to. Just strong suspicions.

On my way to dietary knowledge I discovered flaxseed. I had been eating stuff like spelt and kamut (wife wife has a Qunioa/rice based diet because of severe allergies) before it ever became popular, but flax seed was new to me.

Flaxseed has been shown to lower cholesterol. More than Cheerios I reckon. Flaxseed is considered a "miracle food."

My advice if you plan to incorporate flaxseed into your diet is buy it whole but grind it as needed. The seed itself is hard to digest and you're likely not gain any benefits from it that way. Since it's a relatively inoffensive tasting seed when ground, I simply sprinkle it on oatmeal or my delux shakes.

4 comments:

  1. I have flaxseed oil, but I don't know how it compares to the actual seeds in terms of benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second link briefly discusses fs oil:

    Note: Flax seed oil is not the same as flax seeds. Flax seed oil is a concentrated source of ALA, which has been questioned for its potential association of increasing prostate cancer risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife has a severe grain allergy problem too. Quinoa and flax seed are regular foods here.

    I grind flax seed and add it to the waffle mixture I make for myself. It blends in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hm. Never thought to add it to waffles. Or pancakes for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.