2010-12-10

Time For A New Espresso Machine

After 8 1/2 loyal years, my cappuccino machine is running on its last legs. I could dump some coin and make some repairs but in my experience, it only temporarily pushes back the day of reckoning. So I've decided to keep the money and buy a brand new machine.

I just hope it can hang on until my daycare opens since disposable income is pretty much dried up.

I've started my research for a replacement machine. Man, have things have changed in just nine years. First off, the machine I originally wanted - Gaggia - was bought out by Saeco (the machine I currently have) and none of their machines, I was told, are made in Italy anymore. They've apparently moved their plant to Romania with Gaggia moving its parts onto a Saeco platform.

What this means is no more solid brass parts and other pieces of quality. Plastic and all that.

So I had to set my sights on those still made in Italy.

As for espresso tips and information on the net, let's just say they're lacking. I came across one on Slate and wasn't impressed one bit. This one is not bad - though not sure about the products. The best thing to do, in my opinion, if you're planning to buy one is get into the trenches and talk to distributors and retailers who know their stuff. Compile notes and make an informed decision based on that.

I'm looking at Mokita, Avanti and other names for now. Beautiful machines made with excellent components. I need one that comes with a built-in grinder. Those generally run for $800. My mother wants to buy a $1000 one-stop Mokita machine. Nice to be retired and with some cash to dispose of.

***
Quick word on Jura. I don't know why, but the latest trend is people telling me how the Swiss machine is the best espresso machine superior to those made in Italy. All I know is I got it straight from the experts and they told me it's bull shit. It's made with plastic parts on the inside.

Not good. Not for the prices they're asking anyway: $1300. For that price you can get a much better machine.

As for me, I've had coffee made from a Jura. Personally, I think it does a terrible job if extracting the full power and flavors of an espresso.

Also avoid (most) De Longhi, Krups and Breville - if you're a hardcore purist. Those machines are fine for the novice but for a person who drinks espresso with passion and likes to compare different types of beans, these machines are not made for that sort of exploration.

I'll try and write a more in-depth post about espresso machines as I hit the pavement harder.

For now, observe the picture. That's exactly what the coffee should look like when it comes out of your machine. If it doesn't....well, it's just not espresso.

***

Good piece about Illy and the opening of its Galleria.

Incidentally, I agree. I know people like to pile on Starbuck's but I think the quality of their coffee is very good.

3 comments:

  1. I make my espresso in a little copper/tin Greek coffee maker (called a briki). I bring the water just to a boil, add the spoonful and a half of espresso, and bring to a boil again.

    For an Americano, I add the same very warmed spring water (our well water tastes like shit and sulfur). The quality of the water is absolutely essential, in both taste and temperature, just like making tea (for which I advocate the use of a samovar).

    Espresso machines are OK, but the old way is still better. I make exactly the brew I want by doing it this way. The link below gives one an idea of how to go about this. I don't make this exact thing below (I eschew the sugar), but it is a good starting point.

    http://greekfood.about.com/od/mezethesdrinks/ss/htgreekcoffee.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Water/temp. is indeed important.

    I use the old world method as well. We have several different stove-top "cafetieri" as we call it.

    Although I enjoy an espresso from my Bialetti, to me, nothing tops what a very good espresso machine accomplishes.

    I'm familiar with Greek-Lebanese-Turkish coffee. Always have one whenever I go to a local favorite Lebanese restaurant. But, using my Neopolitain is quicker and easier!

    Does your (Greek) coffee come thick almost like mud at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It depends on what I want it to be. Again, I'll use it make espresso or a cafe Americano (my morning drive brew), but I can also make more Greek type coffee. I make sketos, rather than the glykos types, so the foaminess is not augmented by sugar -- I don't have a friendship with sugar in any but small doses.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.