2011-01-16

The Robertson Screwdriver

It is alleged, the urban legend goes, Canadians are dull. Boring. Tete-carree or squareheads. Although the last being a French perjorative to describe an arrogant Anglo-Saxon.

So is it a surprise a Canadian invented the Robertson screwdriver seen here? Yup, it's true. P.L. Robertson came up with it.

Now you'll never look at a robertson without saying to your friends, "A Canadian invented this!" as you raise it pointing to the sky.

Eh.

***

I have to give some props to Folgers. I don't drink filtered coffee and I resent the sappy tones of coffee commercials - yeah, I said resent. I'm miserable that way - but it was nice to see a different spin on one I saw the other day. Usually, we're blasted from all sorts of angles connecting foods to hockey. The narrative goes something like "doughnuts and hockey: a part of our heritage" or some other derelict effect.

After a while it's enough. "Molson Canadian as Canadian as hockey!" or "Cariboo-boo oil, getting hockey moms to games on time!" And so on.

Above all, it's male dominated. For example, fathers buying crappy Tim Hortons coffee at 5am taking their sons to hockey practice.

While it is true this routine is true for so many Canadians across the line, it gets to be old after a while. For me anyway. Go figure, I don't even buy any of the products doing it.

Call me a Canadian whiner.

Anyway.

Folgers decided to be a trailblazer. It maintained the sippy-sappy part but at least they had a father go out on his lawn making ice not for violent boys revving to slap a puck at a window...but for his daughter who went to practice her figure skating.

Fucken-A.

And they even named her 'Alex.'

As a father of a daughter I appreciated it. Especially since, sniff, I take her skating.

*Holds backs tears*

Still won't buy Folgers but they're alright in my book. Well, actually it's a loose-leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.