2011-01-11

Why Media Fails

Sometimes all it takes ONE article in an op-ed to make you stare at the camera with one eyebrow raised like Bugs Bunny.

The New York Times pulled this classic today. An op-ed about the Arizona shooting appealing to "civility" by Paul Kanjorski.

YET.

Here's one of his qutoes from the past:

"Instead of running for governor of Florida, they ought to have him [Rick Scott, the Republican candidate for Florida governor] and shoot him. Put him against the wall and shoot him."

Amazing. The thing that blows me away is the editor who allows this to get published. Is he or she ignorant or just plain arrogant?

Journalistic integrity my ass.

I'm waiting for the "it's different" or "liberals have to fight fire with fire" or "taken out of context" or "it's a right-wing frame job" argument.

***

Some conservative thoughts on the shooting here and here.

***

Someone with a Masters in psychology I know made a good point: If such shootings were politically motivated as being described, half the population would act out. Many people for endless reasons, feel isolated wiithout being necessarily ideological or crazy. But they don't. Clearly, this person was mentally ill.

Indeed.

Sheesh.

Some credit for humanity please.

***

As I alluded to in a previous post, statistically, it's still an anomaly.

"Finally, attacking any innocent person is abhorrent and the perpetrators must be severely punished. In my opinion, the relatively few attacks on public officials (fewer than 80 in 60 years with about a third of those aimed at the president) provide no real justification for erecting the modern massive security infrastructure in which government officials and buildings are being increasingly closed off to citizens. I admire Rep. Giffords' willingness to meet and talk with citizens where they live. I hope for her speedy recovery."

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/12/2011

    I've only now weighed in with my thoughts about these brilliant, insightful comments. It gave me something to do while my tea kettle heated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait until they start coming in with all sorts of legislation based on strawman theories.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.