2011-03-07

Objectivism In A Subjective World

A friend and colleague of my wife is an Objectivist. Ironic given he's a public school teacher. He must scare the bejesus out of civil servants in the lunch room.

The other day I was asking him some advice about salaries (he owns three tutoring schools. He's a dedicated educator) and we got to talking about political philosophy. I discovered objectivist really do consider libertarianism as a political movement and not a philosophy.

Indeed, libertarianism is a loose confederation of minds extremely diverse in its philosophical outlook.

In other words, in his opinion, objectivists don't mince words when it comes to reality whereas others do.

***

Ayn Rand is interesting to me but I haven't been pulled in to the point of adherence. Nonetheless, I do grasp what her overall point is. For those of you who are interested he sent me this link to Leonard Piekoff.

And of course, then there's The Objective Standard.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3/07/2011

    Readers of my blog know where I stand on Rand. That said, her novella "Anthem" is a good read, and I think is of some value.

    I came across this column recently. I like this work. It is something of a tap on the shoulder to us bookish types.

    http://www.orthodoxytoday.org/view/the-heartless-lovers-of-mankind

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayn Rand is an awful writer; Margaret Atwood she ain't. BTW: You should all be reading A Handmaid's Tale. It eerily could be the future in the US (and here if Harper had his way) when the Dominionists finally take over the GOP and the White House. Scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3/12/2011

    Maria,

    This is my mild take on Ms. Rand. There are plenty of links and pingbacks to interesting thoughts expressed in the comments section.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3/12/2011

    Maria,

    This is my mild take on Ms. Rand. There are plenty of links and pingbacks to interesting thoughts expressed in the comments section.

    http://zeusiswatching.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/praise-for-national-review-online/

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.