2011-06-26

Debt Should Not Enhance Self-Esteem


A person who takes on debt and feels empowered by it is misguided to say the least. Taking on debt as a way to improve one's life or start a business is not to be seen as anything but stoically. You take the money up front as a means to attain your goals and objectives. If you fail, you're on the hook. Not mentioned in the study is the interest paid on the capital borrowed. That alone can sink a person. If your interest outpaces your revenues (or what you pull in) you're bankrupt. 

Debt and credit are a necessary evil. However, people taking them on are not sufficiently aware or educated enough about what they constitute in terms of possible consequences. I know plenty of people who don't even make minimum payments on their cards reacting flippantly when they find out they have bad credit scores.

Having a bad credit score can ruin your life. I don't agree with how credit bureaus sell themselves like cheap sluts as if there are no consequences to unsuspecting people and then turning around and ruining such people, but the best way to fight against this is to educate and knock off the excuses.

***

It was always basic common sense to me. I always had a pristine balance sheet until I started my business. Now I live in a state of precariousness from day to day managing a growing business and a large debt load. I based my borrowing on my projections. While I don't doubt I can achieve the numbers in my plan, it all depends on how fast I can establish break even that's key; the magical critical point. I'm not out of the woods yet.

Speaking of which, I keep hearing about how I should go get a subsidy. People talk as if subsidies are free money and have no negative impact on society. They do as far as I'm concerned. If you need a subsidy to survive, then you're not viable as a business.

If this business falters, I won't regret my decision to go private. Not one bit because I believe I offered a true service to society without being a drain on public coffers while offering a needed service with a unique idea.

As far as I'm concerned, THAT'S what we should be nurturing as a society: Meaningful entrepreneurial spirit. Articles attacking private services do no good to enhance us as a society. They set us back further into the bosom of the state and false sense of security.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.