2011-07-27

Stupid Hyperbole From Espn

'Worst call ever?' Really? That takes some balls to put that out there.

Shit, I've been watching sports a long time and this doesn't even make my top 10 if I could make one. Dunno, the Yankees got some pretty cheesey calls during their reign of terror in the 1990s. Soccer is jammed pack with far worse calls. How about the 'toe in the crease' during the Stanley Cup playoffs between the Sabres and Stars a few years back? Seahawks/Steelers in the Super Bowl?

I know the ball beat the runner by as long as stars have been burning in space, but a case can be made,I guess, the catcher never actually tagged him. Swiping instead.

I see plays at second base routinely be miscalled because a ball beats the player even though by the time the second baseman applies the tag, the player slides in safely.

Even if the call was blown (which is likely) calling it the 'worst call ever' is meant I reckon to appeal to a kid who watched his or her first sports game ever. Surely a seasoned sports fan wouldn't go for it.

Excerpts:

"Twitter exploded immediately, with sympathy coming from across the country for America's team."

Equating 'twitter explosion' to confirming a 'wrong' has been perpetuated (hence, proving one's personal point) is so wrong. Who cares if it 'exploded?' Many people can all be wrong at the same time. It happens.

I love these inexact, informal, anecdotal quips about being a country's team. I live in Montreal and screw the Pirates. I speak, of course, as an Expos fans who loathed and will continue to loathe any team from the NL east.

"I simply said the call made me sad."

I mean, buckets of tears were streaming down his face.


Know what makes me sad? In keeping life in proper perspective, given the misery people face on a daily basis, writers who make a lot of money using words like "sad" to describe an effen play in sports. That's what.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.