2011-09-10

Complex Question

Paul over at MOR made me think about something. He argued that Quebec society is "complex." I retorted that it isn't, politically and culturally anyway. Maybe because I'm not a fan of large parts of its laws that strike me as hopelessly anti-individual. I just can't tolerate when the state restricts free choice on any level.

But what should be the criteria to what makes a society or region or whatever, "complex?"

I partly based my opinion by measuring Quebec against Canada, and then the world. Within a Canadian context, Quebec looks complex. However, in a world context it's just another place.

Being complex, to me, also entails providing the world with philosophical thoughts it can borrow. I don't see that here.

Anyway. I'm hard; dare I say complex, that way.

Discuss.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9/13/2011

    As far as I can say from here (which is little), I received some contribution to my studies from Canadian Thomas Harpur's 'The Pagan Christ'. I don't know if you would like that perspective (he's not against Christ in any case). This book was advised to me by Paul Costo and by Philippe, both Canadians.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure.

    Always open.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.