2011-09-04

Ruining A Good Thing

When I heard Metro grocers is possibly in talks to acquire or parnter with Adonis supermarket, I reacted negatively.

Culturally, I just don't see a natural fit; "synergies" as they call it in the investment world. When it comes to food, I'll side with the Arabs on this one. Without knowing the details, Metro is smart to get in on the "ethnic" game but judging by how they run things, I'd say they're in over their heads.

Adonis is a grocery store with all the typical markings of a Middle-Eastern environment: Stressful, chaotic and ostensibly rude. You always get the feeling the workers have ADHD when serving you. If you're looking to have a superficial interaction with people in the requisite "hello, good-bye" format, this ain't the place for you.

If you're Mediterranean, you know how to go with that flow.

Insiders I've spoken to describe what goes on behind the scenes as anarchistic. No room for notions of Anglo-Saxon accounting here!

In trying to get some information, no one can get any story straight with each adding a few more tales to the 1001 Arabian Nights.

Still, when it comes to offering fresh fruits and vegetables (although prices have gone up), and meat, Adonis among the best; from its shish-taouk, kafta, marintated filet-mignon and so on. Outstanding food really. The 'Metro' tag means little to me.

As long as Metro keeps its corporate fingers at a distant and not intrude on operations (Metro is terrible when it comes to fruits and vegetables), it should go ok I reckon. However,  if they come in with a "c'est notre facon" way. It's over. If I want to go to  Metro, I'll got to, erm, Metro.

I'll find another spot to shop.

***

On a side note, I've noticed food inflation is starting to set in. Things are getting expensive out there.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.