2012-01-01

Fleas On Earth

Whenever I see all those people with their funny looking "green" grocery bags, I can only think about how pitiful and utterly arrogant we are as a species.

While we're so busy acting on green issues out of fear, we forget Earth has a billion years head start on us. Our panic has created an entire cottage industry filled with snake-oil slickster-environmental Cassandra's capitalizing ("good" capitalism I reckon) on fear of earth's demise.

On a slightly different rant, what about endangered protected species (those we know are not caused by man) list? Before all this hysteria, I seem to recall learning that exctinction is a normal, natural process. All part of nature's (and maybe devine) plan. Earth knows how to wipe its own ass.

Why can't we just let nature run its course?

I didn't realize George Carlin could make it humorous - in a sad way.

I'm with Carlin. The earth ain't going anywhere. If anyone is going anwhere it's us and our narcissistic, parochial mindset straight to nowhere. It's good that man has found ways to work around nature but woe to those who believe we can permanently alter it negatively or not.

2 comments:

  1. http://boomer-musings.blogspot.com/2011/12/facing-climate-change.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I read it and I think there's much truth in what you wrote.

    As for stocking up, or figuring out how to survive...meh.

    I haven't discovered my inner Mad Max...yet.

    ReplyDelete

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.