2012-06-26

Envy Of The World...Giggle

Heard what I consider to be a vacuous statement on the radio today. In defending the notion of a tuition freeze:

"Quebec's education system and tuition is the envy of the world!"

No sources or citations to support this of course.

Poor Rick Moffat - former Montreal Canadiens announcer - and his pseudo-populist leanings.

Social contracts aside, you can't "freeze" anything when inflation rises. You can't watch the cost of a dollar increase while not raising the price of a product on the side of the coin. It's ludicrous and barbaric thinking I say!

The cost of education is not even matching inflation. Give me a break. If anything, the government is attempting to normalize - I know, the government of Quebec trying to be fiscally responsible - the situation.

I can't really think of anything Quebec has that would be the envy of the world when it comes to enlightened social policy. There are no advanced education ideas that originate here. If you consider "education on the cheap" to be a barometer of "envy" then I call bull shit.

French culture as a whole is highly politicized and I'm not so sure the results are that good I reckon.

I read a lot on what goes on in Europe and I don't see the Germans, Italians, Dutch, French (ok, maybe the French) and British saying. "we envy Quebec!" Nor have I seen any relevant American intellectual essays or journals who claim that either.

If anyone can set me straight on this, I'd be glad to listen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.