2012-06-03

Sitcoms And Politics

I spotted conservative commentator Tucker Carlson on TV the other day and he got me thinking of the 80s sitcome Family Ties.

Now that I look back, the show had hutzpah for depicting Alex P. Keaton (played by Michael J. Fox) not only as a conservative Republican during the Reagan administration, but a smart, academ ically driven one as well. The show further blended Keaton's character with his idealistic, liberal, hippie parents. His Mallory was also conservative but an airhead, while the other one was, from what I recall, a tom-boy just lost in the shuffle.

Is there a show on TV that is as overt as Family Ties when it comes to mixing politics, ideology and family?

Anyway. The more I think of it, the more I believe Keaton spawned Carlson.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.