2012-08-19

Quote Of The Past

"We felt our country was the country of the Risorgimento; of democracy and liberty."

Carla Capponi, Italian Communist MP.

It's a quote that always perplexed me. I wrote it on the side of Trevelyan's Rome.

I don't remember if it's from the book exactly; nor do I remember where I got it. I just remember enjoying it. Then, by pure luck, I was reading David Gilmour's The Pursuit of Italy and found it there too.

In any event.

Nothing cries contradiction like a communist.

I understand communists opposed fascists in Italy, but there's something unholy in claiming to be both a commie and for liberty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.