2012-09-26

Notable Deaths: Andy Williams And Sam The Record Man

Isn't Moon River the most recorded song in history?

***

Heading downtown to Sam the Record Man on Ste. Catherine street back in the day (for me the 80s) was a part of my musical journey.

Once, I was looking for an album they didn't have and the record guy suggested I go across the street into a non-descript building that had seen better days. Going up the stairs onto the second floor, I walked into a rickety room overtaken by vinyl records.

At the back sat semi-hunched and smoking the owner, an old Jewish man with a profound love of music. He help me find what I was looking for (The Doors Alive! She Cried) and other fascinating and rare recordings. I didn't have the money to buy all that I wanted. I regret never going back. I reckon he and the store, like STRM, are long gone.

Those were dem days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.